Middle, high schoolers invited to dream big
GLENWOOD SPRINGS – Colorado Mountain College, in partnership with several other western Colorado higher education institutions, will offer low-cost summer camps to middle school students this July at the college’s Glenwood Center.
Reach Your Peak Colorado, an organization supported by El Pomar Foundation’s Northwest Regional Council, creates opportunities for students who might not see higher education or career training as goals. The program aims to spark interest among middle and high school-aged students by connecting fun, summer learning experiences with rewarding, future careers. Scholarships to assist with tuition are available.
Beginning July 11, a total of eight camp sessions will be held at the Glenwood Center:
- Entrepreneur Boot Camp: July 11-15, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; for 10th- and 11th-graders. Students will learn 21st century skills to determine if a business idea is valid and possible. $150
- Video Camp (two-week camp): July 11-15 and July 18-22, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; for 7th- and 8th-graders. Middle school students will write, shoot, direct and act in their own digital video “short.” $150
- Virtual Reality Camp: July 11-14, 9 a.m. to noon (camp will repeat July 18-21, and again July 25-28); for 7th- and 8th-graders. David Marlett, a pioneer in the virtual reality industry, will give campers a full introduction to virtual reality, using the headgear Oculus Rift and the Samsung GearVR. $50
- Rocketeering Camp: July 18-21, 1-4 p.m.; for 7th- and 8th-graders. Students will learn the basics of rocket flight and engineering, and each camper will build and launch two rockets. $50
- Storytelling Camp: July 25-28, 1-4 p.m.; for 7th- and 8th-graders. Students will learn about writing for gaming, films, books and theater and will create their own short stories. $50
Students may attend one or as many sessions as they wish. Colorado Mountain College’s Glenwood Center is at 1402 Blake Ave., Glenwood Springs. For more information on any of the CMC Reach Your Peak summer camps, contact Jesse Taylor at 970-947-8329 or firstname.lastname@example.org, go to reachyourpeakcolorado.org or call the college at 945-8691.